Friday 7 October 2011

Book Review: Cancelled by Elizabeth Ann West

CancelledThis book falls pretty squarely outside my comfort zone, being a romance novel of sorts. However this sounded like a thoroughly modern romance and one told through the eyes of a man, so I decided to give it a try.

Johnathan and Alexis work together as partners within their robotics company. He's an engineer/businessman and she's a lawyer. While he's been enamoured with her for years the time has never been right. Finally things start to fall into place for them, and things are looking good for the couple when a girl he had a one night stand with before they got together reappears. Kellie's pregnant and says the baby is his.

Johnathan finds himself trying to juggle the demands of the two women, and figure out the best time to tell Alex he's going to be a dad. His life is further complicated by issues with the third partner in the business and his family. While his step-mother is supportive, his relationship with his mother sees him supporting her and his half-siblings, rather than vice versa.

I was pleasantly surprised by this book. I found Johnathan a very likable guy, despite wanting to give him a good shake at times. Watching the rollercoaster relationship between him and Alex moved me from smiling to frowning, and I found myself caring about what would happen to him. Towards the end Kellie developed far more as a character which I was pleased to see.

It's hard to say too much without turning the review into a massive spoiler, so suffice it to say I enjoyed this quick, easy read that is a good reflection of how complicated modern life can be.

Format: Kindle, review copy
My Rating: 3*

3 comments:

Alexis @ Reflections of a Bookaholic said...

I don't tend to like modern romance books because of this type of drama, but for some reason, this one actually intrigues me. Love the review :)

Unknown said...

Thank you, Tracy, so much for the review! I am floored that my book is enjoyable to people outside the romance genre. That was my goal. Alexis, I know how you feel. I don't go for traditional romance story lines, and so with Cancelled, I really wrote a love story I could believe. :) If you'd like a free electronic copy, just let me know! :)

TC said...

Thanks Alexis, for me to find a book within that genre that stands out and I find enjoyable must say something. Elizabeth, you are welcome.