Sunday 10 June 2012

Flashbyte by Cat Connor

Flashbyte (Byte Series - Ellie Conway)Flashbyte is the 4th book in the Ellie Conway Byte series. I jumped straight in with this book and it works on its own, but more on that later.


FBI Special Agent Ellie Conway wakes one morning to find news of her death has been greatly exaggerated. Not a good start to the day but things get progressively worse as someone tries to shoot her and she receives an unwelcome package at home. Ellie soon finds herself facing up to ghosts from the past while trying to solve a string of bank robberies, uncover a possible serial killer in a hospital and keep various other balls in the air.


I took to Ellie Conway virtually from the start. She's certainly kickass but not invincible, and she works on all the competing demands while demonstrating a sense of humour and giving the impression of being a very capable woman. Her personal life is slightly complicated and she is self-deprecating which make her easy to warm to. However this is where I wish I had read the earlier books because there are a lot of people in the team she works with, and who become involved through the various cases, and I found it took a little bit of work to keep the other characters straight. Had I been used to them already I think I would have given the book another star.


The plot is full of twists and turns and there are some weird overlaps that appear as the tale progresses. At one point I thought I was starting to lose the plot but by the end it all made sense and I wondered how the author managed to conclude so many individual threads in one book, even if not all of them were very in-depth.


This was one of those books I struggled to put down, wanting to find out where the action would take Ellie and what would happen to her next. The hints of romance also kept me wondering, and every time I went to put it down I found myself trying to fit in just one more chapter.


I really enjoyed this book and think I will now have to go back and start at the beginning.


Format: Kindle, review copy
Publisher: Rebel ePublishers
My Rating: 4*

2 comments:

Mark Chisnell said...

Sounds good, I've got my own female protagonist underway, so I should give this a look!

TC said...

I've now got the first book in the series to read and I'm looking forward to seeing how she has developed. Good luck with your lady, sure she'll be great.