Friday 15 June 2012

Puzzlebook: 101 Puzzle Quizzes by the Grabarchuk Family

I reviewed the 100 Puzzle Quizzes book a little while back and was pleased to take a look at the next book in the series. 


Puzzlebook: 101 Puzzle Quizzes (color and interactive!)The basics of this book are exactly the same. Each puzzle has a number of solutions which you select in the relevant way, depending on the format you are reading it in.  Only the correct answer will take you to the solution page, which in turn has a link to the next puzzle. While my Kindle is a plain grey and white screen the problems are in colour for other apps and Kindles. 


The book again contains a mix of different types of problem to give the old grey matter a workout. The puzzles start at 1* difficulty, working up to 5* as you work you progress through, but as with the previous book I found some of the 2* problems completely beyond me while some of the more difficult problems of a different type were still relatively simple. I did find some of the solutions completely incomprehensible and couldn't see how you could solve them without being a maths whizz, and others didn't have a full explanation of why the answer was correct where I would have appreciated it.


Although I think there is a bit of room for improvement by and large I am enjoying this series as something a bit different for the moments when I want a distraction but don't have the time or inclination to pick up a novel. If you like a mental workout you could do far worse than picking up one (or several) of these.


Format: Kindle, review copy
Publisher: Grabarchuk Puzzles
My Rating: 3*

No comments: