Thursday 5 May 2011

Finding time...

It's been a while since I've posted anything other than reviews, interviews or memes on here so I thought as I have some time to myself today I'd actually post some thoughts on here for a change. The monkey is at nursery and I have a day off work so all things being equal I should have blissful hours of me time to surf the web and read.

With a toddler I don't get a lot of time to myself, and since getting my kindle and starting the blog the amount of time I spend on other things like watching TV and playing daft games on Facebook has nose-dived. I think the problem is that one book website leads to another, which then leads to another. In fact with so many websites to visit I'm not sure how I find any time to read. Despite this I'm always on the look out for new and exciting sites that might be worth visiting. At the moment I'm visiting Amazon and the kindle forum in particular (kind of goes without saying), Goodreads, Netgalley and Authonomy, as well as visiting other blogs and tweeting about the whole thing. I find Smashwords useful but that takes a bit of a backseat, and  ereaderiq is really helpful but another I don't visit often. Soooo, am I missing any really good sites that other bloggers would recommend?

I love Goodreads, but I think I'm suffering from a form of book envy, if such a thing exists. I often look at what other people are reading, see their reviews and then really want to read it myself. I'm having to accept there are only a certain number of hours in the day, and a finite amount of time for reading and that I can't have every book I see that catches my eye though.

And on a completely unrelated note, this week is Deaf Awareness Week. It is an issue that affects my family and I've realised what a massive lack of awareness there is about how to communicate with deaf people and the problems they face. I'm using "deaf" to cover the whole spectrum of hearing loss, rather than just meaning profoundly deaf here. Therefore this week is a great idea and deserves any publicity it can get. One site that has more info, for anyone who is interested, can be found here. To get a feel for what life is like with a deaf child in the family this series of pieces is great, and I think Tiger Mother is to be applauded for Sounding Off! If anyone has read any good books about or including deaf characters I'd be interested to hear about them.

I think it's probably now time to get on with the day and maybe even curl up with the kindle, back with more soon though!

TC x

4 comments:

Lexi said...

TC, I respect anyone who can get anything at all done while looking after a toddler. Having always been an avid reader, my book consumption dropped drastically once I had my daughter.

So well done and keep going :o)

TC said...

Thanks Lexi. It would probably be fair to say a lot of my reading is done at the expense of housework!

Anonymous said...

Ah i completely understand your envy at Goodreads!

As for books with deaf characters, Johnathon Kellerman has Silent Partner and Penny Warner has an entire mystery series where the main character is deaf, Kristin Hannah's Once in Every Life and Rachel Simon's The Story of a Beautiful Girl have prominent deaf characters as well.

TC said...

Thank you for those suggestions, will be taking a look at those to see which take my fancy.