Sunday 1 April 2012

Book Review - Distracted: A Thriller by Phillip Thomas Duck


I picked this up as a freebie, on the basis of the suggestion it was similar to Lee Child's books. Shell is a hitman whose network has been uncovered. To prevent his Five women dying he must kill one man. That man, Roger Coke, is no easy mark, surrounded by hard cases and a beautiful woman who diverts Shell's attention from the job at hand.    
This is a novella that dives straight into the action and has a gritty feel about it. While it is well written and oozes dark and dangerous I felt that the characters were a bit flat. Coke's girlfriend could have been a character I sympathised with, but there wasn't enough of her history to illustrate exactly how bad her life was that she found herself in a relationship with him. The other hitmen felt a bit one dimensional too.



Distracted: A ThrillerI also thought that some of the keys to the progression of the plot were a little unclear. Shell makes more than one visit to an individual related to his target for information but either I was paying attention or there was nothing to indicate how Shell knew of him.


I liked the author's style and the feel of the book but this novella didn't really do the story justice. I was originally going to give this 3 stars but coming back to do the review a day after finishing I only feel lukewarm about it, hence the 2* rating.


Format: Kindle, freebie
Publisher: Two Daughters
My Rating: 2*



No comments: