Friday 31 December 2010

Goodbye 2010, hello 2011

Just a couple of hour until a whole fresh New Year unfolds before us (in the UK anyway, some of you are already there) 2010 has been a bit of a blur for me, getting used to being a mum, dealing with the million and one appointments we have for Monkey as she has some health issues, going back to work after a year off...

I was sat here trying to remember the big news stories of the year and I'm at a bit of a loss to be honest. We got a new Government, an exciting coalition, a bit of a novelty here even if plenty of other places in Europe manage it ok. For the first time we even had Amerian style debates with all the leaders. The novelty of having a coalition government was soon replaced by dread, waiting to hear about swingeing cuts. Que sera, sera and all that, there's a lot more in life (well, mine at least) to worry about than 2.5% extra VAT (coming to retailers near us very soon) and now we've voted them in we're stuck with them for a bit.

Then there were the Commonwealth games, and the shambles surrounding the organisation. I love sport and can't wait for 2012, I'm hoping to get some tickets so I can see some of it live. The football World Cup was so dire for England I shall say no more!

Last month we had the exciting news of the royal wedding (to be read with a hint of sarcasm) It'll be nice to see Wills and Kate wed, and for us to get an extra bank holiday. I was more pleased to hear another of the Queen's grandhildren, Zara Philips, got engaged this month. Princess Anne's branch of the tree is so much more low key and dignified, and I'm not sure that's all because of who the press decide are worthy of attention.

As I can't remember a lot more of 2010 than that I guess it's easier to look ahead to 2011 and wonder what it will bring. No new years resolutions for me, I just feel guilty when I break them. Now I am going to sit and enjoy the dying hours of this year, and will just wish you all a very Happy 2011 x

No comments: