Tuesday 7 December 2010

Why Glee but not Marian Keyes?

It's been a busy couple of days for me, and so cold! Between finishing A Christmas Carol and waking up this morning to find everything covered in hoar frost I'm starting to feel a bit more christmassy. Even better yesterday we had another session with our British Sign Language (BSL) tutor, we covered all sorts of festive signs and I'm pleased to say I can now sign We Wish You a Merry Christmas, albeit slowly. This is a very good thing to learn to do when you have a singing voice like mine!

On the topic of (bad) singing I was lying in the bath the other night, and could hear strains of The X-Factor drifting through from the lounge. It was the cast of Glee performing, which got me having a bit of a dance in the water. Then I started thinking. I'm a bit of a Gleek and there are plenty of other series on TV that I love that are just as fluffy and non-challenging. My husband still doesn't understand why a woman with a good education and a professional job chooses to watch that sort of thing and I just can't get him to understand that sometimmes it's good to relax and not think for a while. The odd thing is though that when it comes to books I can't bring myself to read anything that's the literary equivalent of Glee, good old chick lit. My mum, sister and friends rarely read anything else, and I've had a crack at a couple of their books but it really doesn't interest me. Why is that? Why shouldn't I want the same sort of mindless escapism from a book that I do from tv? Am I a book snob? Even now no one on the train would know what I was reading - one of the joys of a kindle - I still don't feel tempted so I don't think it's that. Is it just that reading a good book, regardless of the subject, is so engrossing that it doesn't matter if it's a bit more challenging? Any ideas anyone?

3 comments:

Zoë said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and welcome to the book blogging world- I'm your latest follower :)

I don't actually watch Glee... I really can't stand musicals. ANd although I watch PLENTY of bad tv, I'm not one for "bad" books either, although I do like Young Adult, chick lit is rarely something I'll read. I just think reading should be stimulating, but it's okay for tv to be mindless.

TC said...

Thanks for joining me! Maybe we expect less from tv because there are so many mindless programmes whereas there are so many good books...

Anonymous said...

I enjoy Glee too - music makes me happy. As for book choices I couldn't soley read chick lit but every couple of books I will read one to sort of give myself a break I guess. Clear the palette so to speak :)

Shelleyrae