Sunday 5 December 2010

Review: The Girl on The Swing by Ali Cooper


I bought this book based on feedback on the Kindle forums and I am so glad I did. This is Ali Cooper's first novel and I hope she'll be releasing the second very soon.

The main character Julia is a Doctor who has recently lost her son and has been suspended from her job. She believes she has lived before and starts a quest to find out more about her past lives. The narrative moves between the present and the past and as the book goes on it picks up pace and builds to a dramatic climax. I'm not sure how you would classify it but it certainly encompasses mystery. Both the main and sub-plots are well written and although there are lots of threads unlike some books they all feel relevant and given the same care and attention.

I loved the characters and the development of their relationships, both with the new friends she makes and with the husband and best friend who are becoming increasingly remote. This book is clever, beautiful, and I felt so drawn in by it. It moved me and despite the sadness in the main character Julia's life I finished the book with a smile on my face. The only problem I had was trying to categorise it to decide which collection to put it in on my kindle!

No comments: