Saturday 4 December 2010

Review: The Basement by Stephen Leather

This is the first of Stephen's books I've read. He is an active member of the Kindle forums on Amazon, has shared some really interesting info about about an experiment he has been carrying out on pricing and sales of e-books, and as a big fan of murder mysteries I thought this book was well worth a try at the offer price of 72p and with a bunch of good reviews.

The story is told from two viewpoints, one a frustrated wannabe writer, the other a serial killer. Whether they are one and the same is the big question. Two cops working the case certainly think so. I won't say any more for fear of this review turning into a spoiler. I thought I had the twist in the tale sussed but was wrong, which in a round about way always pleases me.

This is a fast paced book, with a really interesting main character, and to me it approaches the genre in a slightly different and refreshing way. I really enjoyed it and am planning to read more of Mr Leather's books (although I have one or two others waiting to be read first, she types tongue in cheek)

No comments: